Tuesday 8 October
Wednesday 9 October
Volvo Cars assembly line visit
Plenary Session II
Plenary Session I
Plenary Session III
End of the Seminar
8.30 – 11.15: Volvo Cars Assembly line visit (upon registration)
11.20 – 11.25: OPENING SPEECH - Raymond Millien, VP - Chief IP Counsel, Volvo Cars
11.25 – 11.40 STRATEGIC KICK-OFF - Daniel P. McCurdy, Chief Executive Officer, RPX
11.40 – 13.10: GRAND OPENING SESSION : Electrification & Mobility: from Conception to Production of Shared, Connected, Autonomous and Green Vehicles
The importance of intellectual property from preliminary industrial designs to intelligent urban infrastructure. Data collection and ownership [from devices to solution-providers through aggregators], Internet of Things in the assembly-line and predictive maintenance by AI, standards settings in the future of the value chain for the automotive industry. New business models
Strategic Overview: Nicole Shanahan, Founder and CEO, ClearAccessIP (USA)
Dennis Nobelius, Chief Executive Officer, Zenuity (Sweden)
Zenuity is a new adas and ad software company, joint-venture between Volvo Cars and Autoliv.
Claudius Leibfritz, Chief Executive Officer, Allianz Automotive (Germany)
Allianz Automotive, a business unit of Allianz Partners, is covering the automotive segment on an international level for Allianz Group with a focus on the global insurance needs of car manufacturers and mobility providers.
Thomas Ingelath, Chief Executive Officer, Polestar (Sweden)
Polestar is a Geely group automotive constructor and the performance division of Volvo Cars Corporation.
Chairman: Nicolas Schifano, Associate General Counsel, Microsoft (USA)
Olav Madland, Chief Executive Officer, Applied Autonomy (Norway)
Jacob Timm, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Orchestra (USA)
Chairman: Louis-Pierre Gravelle, Partner, Robic LLP (Canada)
13.10 – 14.30: Networking Lunch
I. OVERVIEW OF THE AUTOMOTIVE LANDSCAPE.
14.30 – 15.20: Risks and opportunities for IP in a dramatic changing landscape.
Comparisons with the aerospace, telecommunications and IT sectors. Tactics from new entrants.
• Convergence of technologies
• Reverse-engineering, hybrid and dual technologies, spill-over from mature technologies.
• IP options on emerging technologies and expected technological breakthroughs
• Patent Risk Management and Controlling Litigation Costs
1. patent litigation dynamics,
2. patent protection/monetization in China
3. processes, indicators and analytics for information-efficient and effective methods to respond to unexpected patent overtures,
4. mitigate patent risk through defensive patent aggregation and defense pools
5. early assessment procedures to reduce risk, increase control and communicate financial costs, measurements to build competitive advantage,
6. interface with financial planning and corporate risk management,
7. shift from a cost to a profit-centered IP in-house department.
Strategic Overview: Automotive Patent Trends 2019 – 2020
Nigel Swycher, Chief Executive Officer, Aistemos (United Kingdom).
Brian Hinman, Chief Commercial Officer, AON (USA)
Aude de Clerq, Technology Transfer Officer, European Space Agency (Netherlands)
Dr. Xuting Huang, Patent Attorney, Intellectual Property Manager, ZF Group (Germany)
Bettina Hermann, General Counsel EMEA, Visteons Electronics (Germany)
Chairman: Lionel Lavenue, Patent Attorney, Partner, Finnegan (USA)
15.20 - 16.10: Internet of Things in the driver’s seat: Captors, Sensors, Connectivity, Predictive AI applied to the Automotive industry.
• New entrants and speed of technological advances
• Market changes and tectonic developments
• Consumer behavior and demographic shift
• Global perspective of IP in the automotive industry
• Identification of key IP conflicts and issues
Chris Storm, Legal Director, Emerging Technologies, UBER (USA)
Luca Verre, CEO and Founder, Prophesee (France)
Chairman: Andrew Hammond, Chief Executive Officer, Valea AB (Sweden)
16.10 – 16.30: Coffee Break
II. IP IN THE VALUE CHAIN
16.30 – 17.20: IP MANAGEMENT: A ROARING LANDSCAPE
New structures of governance, workflow organization of the IP stream. Tools for IP across the industry. New developments in patent analytics. Arbitration in Patent Portfolio.
• Best practices
• Business Cases
• How to do more with less (budget)
• The example of joint-patenting. To which extent it could be applied to Academics and Start-ups.
Christophe Vougny, Group Intellectual Property Director, Faurecia (France)
Francis Fernandez, Responsable Valorisation Propriété Intellectuelle & Brevets, Groupe PSA (France)
Jenny Widahl, Chief IP Officer, IP and Legal Team Lead, Zenuity (Sweden)
17.20- 18.10: OEMs AND SUPPLIERS: practices and strategies in the automotive industry. New developments and efficiencies. Reaction to regulations and industry practices.
• New manufacturing methods and additive technologies: which protection?
• Issues on regulation: impact on IPR
• Technology readiness level
• Patent portfolio strengths: striving for high portfolio efficiency.
Keynote Speech : Robert Falck, CEO and Founder, Einride (Sweden)
Bernhard Mehnert, Senior Counsel Intellectual Property & Licensing, ZF Group (Germany)
Scott Witonsky, VP IP & Licensing, Witricity (USA)
Wolfgang Stalder, European Patent Attorney, DENSO International Europe (Germany)
18.10 - 18.20: Conclusion: The value of connectivity in Automotive
Bowman Heiden, Visiting Scholar, The Hoover Institution, Stanford University (U.S.A.).
18.30 - 21.00: Cocktail Reception
9.00 – 9.50: BIG DATA: THE NEW GOLD RUSH…BARBARIANS AT THE GATE ?
• IP and Data: blurred lines on protection
• Traceability and ownership
• How to leverage data assets and license data
• legal aspects of using open source software in proprietary products
Jill Hubbarb Bowman, Associate General Counsel, Intellectual Property, Intel (USA)
Ann Critchell-Ward, Vice President Intellectual Property Operations, Tom Tom (NL)
Anna Maria Lagerqvist, Senior IP Counsel, Volvo Car Corporation (Sweden)
Chairman: Dr Michael Natterer, Managing Director and Co-Founder, Dennemeyer Octimine GmbH (Germany)
9.50 – 10.40: SEP & Automotive IoT
standard, off the shelf mobile/wired connections for data transfer
matter when determining royalties?
never be parties to a single case?
James Bradley, Head of Legal, Group Lotus PLC (United Kingdom)
Kent Baker, Head of IP Strategy & Licensing, u-Blox AG (USA)
Ief Daems, Legal Director Antitrust, Cisco (Belgium)
Chairman: Ari Laakkonen Partner, Powell Gilbert (United Kingdom)
10.40 – 11.00: Coffee Break
11.00 – 11.50: IP valuation: IP in JV, M&A or joint patent filling.
Organic and cross border inorganic growth strategies in the automotive industries.
• Methodologies and Best Practices
• Key skills needed for IP teams
• Intangible and tangible assets: evaluation and assessment
• Post-merger acquisition process
Erik Ahroon, Vice-President, Acacia Research (United States of America)
Ann Critchell-Ward, Vice President Intellectual Property Operations, Tom Tom (NL)
Magdalena Jablonski, Director IP Counsel, Robert Bosch LLC (United States of America)
Charlotta Ljungdhal, Vice President Group IP, Air Liquide (France)
11.50– 12.40: Trademarks & Brands overview: new online marketplaces, evolution of distribution channels from B2B to B2C, lookalikes and counterfeiting
• Automotive brand TM squatting
• Lookalike vehicles in China
• Fight against counterfeit parts
• How clean is your dealer network
• Licensing and protecting your brand name
• Brand protection
Robert Sterner, Attorney at Law, Head of Trademark and Design Enforcement, AUDI (Germany)
Lisa Selar, Senior Trademark and Design Counsel, Volvo Cars (Sweden)
Paolo Rezzaghi, IPR Manager, Brembo S.p.A (Italy)
Chairwoman: Tracy Durkin, Trademark & Design Lawyer, Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein (USA)
12.40 – 14.10: Networking Lunch
14.10 – 15.00: LOOKING AT THE FUTURE: MEGATRENDS AND DISRUPTIVE TECHNOLOGIES.
• New interfaces, new challenges and new interactions between OEM, Suppliers, Academics and New entrants.
• Transportation as a service, Predictive IA for maintenance: Use and business cases, market scenarios
• How can IP can anticipate the next technology breakthroughs? Forecasting the global inflexion…
• Applications of augmented and mixed Reality for Automotive Stakeholders.
• Fuel cells, Supercapacitors, Hydrogen: from Electric to Magnesium, the next key technological drivers.
Ronan Stephan, Chief Scientist, Plastic Omnium (France)
Victoria Van Camp, Chief Technology Officer, AB SKF (Sweden)
Claudio Simao, Chief Technology Officer, Hexagon AB (Sweden)
Cecilia Sunnevang, VP Research Engineering and Development, Autoliv (Sweden)
Chairman: Jens Bördin, Co-Founder and CEO, Konsert Strategy & IP (Sweden)
15.00 - 15.10: Closing Remarks
Date: 8 October
Time: from 6:50 p.m